Sports are a great way for your kids to get exercise and to encourage healthy habits. You can’t deny that you love seeing the joy on their faces while playing, too.
An injury — especially a dental injury — could keep your kids off the field, court, or rink. To help avoid that, they need the right equipment. That includes wearing an athletic mouthguard any time they practice or compete. After all, the Journal of the American Dental Association reports that 39 percent of oral injuries occur during sports. According to the ADA, athletes who don’t wear mouthguards are 60 times more likely to have an oral injury.
To help you decide if your child should be wearing a mouthguard, just answer these questions:
- Does the sport involve physical contact among the athletes?
- Do athletes make frequent changes in speed or direction during this sport?
- Does the sport involve jumping?
- Do people throw or hit balls, pucks, or other objects?
A “yes” means they are playing a high-impact sport. Anyone who plays a high-impact sport should wear a mouthguard while practicing or competing.
The best protection comes from a custom-made mouthguard. We can make these for you as part of our pediatric dentistry. In addition to helping you reduce your risk of dental injuries, we want to help you improve or preserve your oral health. You can do this with our various services:
- Preventive Care – Stop tooth decay and gum disease early by visiting us regularly for cleanings and exams. You can also get fluoride treatments, which make teeth more resistant to decay.
- Emergency Dental Care – For urgent dental problems such as toothaches, knocked-out teeth, or broken teeth, don’t hesitate to call us.
- Restorative Dentistry – Repair or replace teeth with our combination of experience, training, and services
Keep your kids in the game! Before they step on the field or court again, call Evergreen Pediatric Dentistry at 425-800-0578 or to make an appointment for an athletic mouthguard in Kingsgate, WA. Our team is here to support your family and their smiles.