You love seeing the joy playing sports brings to your children’s faces. You also know that sports are a great way for them to get exercise and encourage healthy habits.
The last thing you want is for an injury — especially a dental injury — to keep your kids off the field, court, or rink. To do that, you want to make sure your kids wear an athletic mouthguard any time they practice or compete. The Journal of the American Dental Association reports that 39 percent of oral injuries occur during sports.
The best protection comes from a custom-made mouthguard. We can make these for you as part of our pediatric dentistry.
To help you decide if your child should be wearing a mouthguard, just answer these questions:
- Does the sport involve physical contact among the athletes?
- Do athletes make frequent changes in speed or direction during this sport?
- Does the sport involve jumping?
- Do people throw or hit balls, pucks, or other objects?
If the answer is yes to any of those questions, then your child should have a mouthguard in whenever they are playing their sport(s) of choice. A “yes” means they are playing a high-impact sport. According to the ADA, athletes who don’t wear mouthguards are 60 times more likely to have an oral injury.
In addition to helping you reduce your risk of dental injuries, we want to help you improve or preserve your oral health. You can do this with our various services:
- Preventive Services – Avoid tooth decay and gum disease early with regular cleanings and exams at our office. You can also get fluoride treatments.
- Emergency Dental Care – Call us quick to end the pain of a toothache, a dislocated tooth, or a broken tooth.
- Restorative Dentistry – If you do have a dental injury, we can repair or replace your teeth with our mix of experience, training, and technology.
Do not take chances with your kids’ teeth. Before their next practice or game, call Evergreen Pediatric Dentistry at 425-800-0578 or to make an appointment for an athletic mouthguard in Bellevue, WA. Our team is cheering for your family and their smiles.